It’s my privilege….

5

August 27, 2016 by readlisaread

Alt Title: The Pretty Privilege

Much like I recently had the wrong idea about the word “complacency”  I think I have taken for granted (ironic, that) the nuances of “privilege” as well. Add to this the current… erm… political situation (?) in the US.  As we wait (and wait) for the 2016 November election to put an end to this most recent side show, something about Candidate Trump keeps coming back to me.  In particular, something echoed by many of his supporters:  “He tells it like it is.”  Now of course, you, gentle reader, know, and I know this is code for “He is a racist misogynistic loon who isn’t afraid to say all the evil things we are thinking but have been shamed by society for saying out loud”.

And so, in that vein, I offer you this “Tell it like it is” bit on Privilege. And yes, it is my intent that you cringe at some of word choices today.  I’m feeling a bit mean, altogether.

Pretty Girls have absolutely no idea what it’s like to be an Ugly Girl (oh, they THINK they do– like that one time they had one pimple appear on their downy cheek, or when *horrors* their mascara smudged… a little…) [I told you I was in a mean mood today]

So here are some truths about Ugly Girls and Pretty Girls and explains The Privilege of Pretty.

• If a Pretty Girl should ever be eating alone at a restaurant, no one will think it’s because she has no friends
  • Ugly Girls never expect boys to lie to them to get something, they expect them to lie in an effort to avoid spending time with an Ugly Girl
  • Pretty Girls expect boyfriends to lie to them all the time, so that there is always an excuse to break up with them.
  • Pretty Girls can play helpless or powerful, or anything in between– it doesn’t matter, as there will always be someone stepping in to help, cheer or admire the perseverance.
  • Ugly Girls can fail, succeed, or anything in between, and the result is considered because of, or in spite of, or as a result of how she looks.
  • Pretty Girls don’t realize that as soon as they walk into a job interview, the Ugly Girl beside them already has recalculated her odds and is already trying twice as hard
  • Ugly Girls get complimented if they are smart (“At least she has lots of smarts”) Smart Pretty Girls get complimented too (“Wow!  Beauty AND Brains!”)
  • Ugly Girls are used to being ignored and passed over
  • Pretty Girls demand attention immediately they show up, and if they don’t, automatically speak up and demand it more loudly.
  • If an Ugly Girl is mean to or about a Pretty Girl, it’s because she’s jealous. If a Pretty Girl is mean to or about an Ugly Girl, it’s because she’s a Mean Girl, which actually has a pretty cool connotation.  It’s the female equivalent to “Boys will be Boys!” *sigh*
  • Pretty Girls will never admit they ARE the pretty ones.  Ugly Girls know exactly who they are.
  • Pretty Girls don’t get condescended to.  Ugly Girls do, constantly.
  • Pretty Girls never get told: “If you just made a little more effort, you could be so Ugly.”   Obviously.
  • On Punching Above Weight: Ugly Guy with Pretty GF: “Wow!  You lucky dog, your GF is hot!” Ugly Girl with Handsome BF: (sotto voice) “Wow, her dad must own a liquor store or have a nice boat!” + “Both!”
  • On “Beauty is only skin deep”. Pretty girls are the first to agree that it’s “what’s inside that matters”, but for them it is just gravy. For ugly girls it’s all there is.
  • Pretty Girls are fantasies.  Ugly Girls are punch lines
  • Ugly Girls learn to strengthen their character, demand the treatment they actually deserve, never fear growing older or running out of eyeliner.
  • Pretty Girls have the Privilege of Membership. For awhile.

1. Scott says:

The last point is point on!

2. Sue Denim says:

🎼🎶🎶. If her daddy’s rich take her out for a meal If her Daddy’s poor just do what you feel

Anti spam word. Tomcat Ho

3. Bev Lukoni says:

Well said my friend!

4. Catou says:

Speaking as someone who was never anywhere on the Pretty Spectrum, as the last line states, there is a shelf life to prettiness.
    A sense of humour only sharpens with age.

5. readlisaread says:

Thank you for the comments! And Sue– you get the Karaoke award!