Student teacher on stage

0

November 15, 2010 by readlisaread

“I have a confession to make”, my student teacher says, “I’ve been reading your blog.”

I realized I am still a subversive  blogger.  I love sharing my thoughts and inspirations with my “Internet Friends”.  I’m a little more hesitant sharing out loud with people who know me “in real life”.  Her reaction was funny.  She suggested that reading my words had encouraged her to feel a bit more jaded. I’m not sure how I feel about that.  I don’t like to think of myself as cynical or skeptical, but perhaps I am.

Or maybe it’s not skepticism. Maybe it’s just being realistic.

I remember being scolded once by a senior teacher, who apparently felt I was being FAR too familiar with the Prince, and felt I would benefit from knowing that back when SHE was my age, teachers NEVER called the Prince by his first name, NEVER told inappropriate jokes (or jokes at all), and certainly never EVER flirted or behaved “like that”.  Well. that was me told.  Trouble was, that was no longer the reality of the situation.

So, when my student T. read my words about leadership, and took in my reflections on administration, she was brought face to face with my reality. In some ways, I’ve been unprofessional, I suppose–some of those thoughts are maybe best left unsaid.  On the other hand, I’m a big proponent of having the Courage of ones Convictions.

Upshot: Student T knows a bit more about how I think.  Prince could just as easily have read the entry–how do I feel about that? Do I want to be skeptical, or do I want to effect change? A quixotic conundrum.

Hmmm