Heaven’s House Band

0

November 27, 2010 by readlisaread

I’ve been thinking about Freddie Mercury lately.  There have been many talented musicians to come and go over the years, and to suggest any one artist, dead or alive, contributed more to the craft than any other is to invite an argument of epic proportions, that is no more easily untangled than a Gordian Knot.  But for me, Freddie Mercury is/was incomparable.

What a face....

What a face....

I first heard the music of Queen, back in the late 1970’s/early 1980’s, I knew this was something new.  Not afraid to be on the edge, but not being shocking just for the sake of it.  It was the harmonies, though, that were the thing.  The harmonies and the lyrics.

Throughout history, the older generation has argued that the younger generation just doesn’t know good music.  Back in the day…..

I think there are talented musicians today–certainly there are some good lyric writers (the minstrels of modern time). But the Justin Beibers and Fergies of today don’t have to take the risks that their bygone contemporaries did.  I don’t think a lot about the after-life– I mean, really, why would I.  But I do like to think that there is a place where the spirit dwells, later, where one’s energy resonates, and where, if you are lucky, you can find the cafe Janis and Patsy order tea and Southern Comfort in, and where Jimmi and Freddie practice guitar chords.

I get a bit angry (and let’s face it, that’s pretty judgmental) when I hear tales of the struggles of someone like Amy Winehouse.  I think, “Really? Didn’t you grow up in the ’90s, when we all already knew about the dangers of Heroin and unprotected sex?  Don’t you hear what an amazing talent you are squandering”

I think artists like Jim Morrison and Jimmi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and Freddie were victims of their time. I wonder what would have happened if they had had access to information like kids do now.  Would they have been more careful?  Would they have thought that maybe they shouldn’t put that up their nose/in their mouth/in a vein.   Or is that sort of recklessness exactly what contributes to their brilliance.

Can you imagine what Freddie Mercury would have done with an auto-tune machine and access to YouTube?