What’s your favourite number?

0

December 20, 2015 by readlisaread

222

That’s a favourite. So is 8, but I don’t remember why. And I love 3 and 7, because they are magic (or at least mythic) numbers: 3 wishes, 7 dwarfs, 3 bowls of oatmeal…..

There is nothing, actually, magical about numbers.  Their properties are easily explained and proven through logical, testable and reliable means.  A 4 is always a 4, it is never anything else.  And yet, and yet… the Fibonacci sequence, the golden rectangle, sacred geometry….. how can these be thought of as anything other than magic?

222 is a favourite number, because it has an association for me of joy. But it is also pleasing to say… “Two two two”….  appearing alliterative and rhythmic, looking like 3 hangers on a rod, sounding like rain on the roof, or shots from a pistol.

Remember when you were a kid, and you had a favourite number/colour/animal? Do you ever want to believe in magic again? I don’t mind if my favourite number won’t win me the lottery, but I wish it would bring me back to a magical day. Do we stop believing in magic, or does magic stop believing in us?