Right Brain, Left Brain? Alright, what’s left of my brain?

0

February 3, 2016 by readlisaread

Like most people, I like to think I am special.  You know, Unique…. just like everyone else. But when it comes to the work that I do, I am a bit of an anomaly. This is a shot of my office wall: 12419304_10153126178251116_2174631951274507919_oThese are not the trappings of a typical Geek.  And yet, with a little deeper dive, it is…. the clock right above my head is marked not just by the digits 1 to 12, but by scientific problems or formulae represented by those numbers (like the Beaufort Hurricane scale). To the right of that is an original piece of art, a very industrial/graffiti look, but with quotes from Jane Austin and MLK,Jr. And to the right of that piece, possibly my happiest number.  It is, again, a mixed media creation, combining paint, found objects and tiny Polaroid photos.  The photos are why this is a happy piece– I took them, one for each, of sketches I used in my last (and successful) job interview.  The interview was panel style, and I was given 10 minutes for my own presentation. I decided I would present my approach to educational technology as through the lens of the Simple Machines.  It was a neat metaphor, and continues to serve me well on a daily basis. Feedback I got from the interview panel included this statement:  “Wow, she is really Right Brain for a Tech, isn’t she?” But my (future) boss knew the score:  “Oh yes… but don’t forget, she’s a Teacher, first”

Other things on the wall include some of my favourite quotes, such as ” is Technology indistinguishable from magic?”and the quintessential anti-Nerdling sentiment, hanging ironically just below the clock:  “Love is space and time, measured by the heart.”

Proving, despite our socially awkward ways, Nerds, Dorks and Geeks may be passionate but definitely need love too.