Ziggy played guitar

0

January 11, 2016 by readlisaread

Iconic moments… this morning, news of the loss of David Bowie.  This post is, actually, about IT and not pop culture, but…. completely embedded in Social Media.

When I think of Bowie’s contributions to our collective history, our culture and art, I think not just of unique vocals and moving lyrics, I think of technology (Major Tom), and the how technology has preserved, forever, some piece of the magic (Isolated tracks with Freddie Mercury) I think of pushing the boundaries, in all things bowie

How did I get the news?  By opening Facebook on my iPad as I was waking up, as I do most mornings. Often I listen to the news playing on the radio as my wake-up routine, and I wouldn’t have been any less saddened to hear a professional report the news, but instead my experience was tempered by a sudden and real sense of community and connectedness, as my friends (virtual or otherwise) shared their own Bowie memories– concerts they had attended, albums they had bought, the meaning certain lyrics had for them… my timeline was lit up, not just with the bad news, but with meaningful tributes, connections that I shared, or that I cared about, or could relate to.

Screen Shot 2016-01-11 at 11.12.07 AM

Screen Shot 2016-01-11 at 11.12.34 AM

Screen Shot 2016-01-11 at 11.13.10 AM

Recently I wrote about why, despite the instant access to information most of us have now, we still need the human element to ameliorate it, and bring meaning. What a modern teacher’s role is… This morning I reflected on the role social media plays– I can get the information, and I know why it’s important to me, but I need to know why it’s important to you, too.  Funny correlation here, this post is as much about loss as it is connections.

And when I get excited
My little China girl says
Oh baby just you shut your mouth
She says : sh-sh-shhh……

Dance….

Screen Shot 2016-01-11 at 11.28.12 AM