Voice

3

March 9, 2016 by readlisaread

I wrote this piece in my companion blog earlier today.  It’s all about being a teacher and having a teacher brain and doing teachery things. Seldom are people surprised when I tell them I am a School teacher ( and I always say that, too: School teacher.  As opposed to what…. Supermarket Teacher? Petting Zoo Teacher?) In any event, just like The Eyebrow, the Teacher Voice is not only easy for me, it’s hard to not employ it.

The other day I wrote a little short piece of fiction, and I tried a different voice.  I got to wondering how script writers, particularly, keep true to their characters’ voice, when, as a story writer, I worry more about keeping true to the story. In any event, here is the piece, and you can tell me in the comments if you think my voice is authentic or do I still sound like a teacher?

Breaking  uncoorcorlookup

1. Cab filly says:

Won’t you take me back to school?
    I need to learn the golden rule?

Heh, _Sunday_ School teacher.  Will this rhetorical question be on the rhetorical test?

https://youtu.be/20W4slP2PGg

2. readlisaread says:

What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question? Do I know what rhetorical means!?!

3. "Dave" says:

rhet·o·ric
    ˈredərik/
    noun
    the art of effective or persuasive speaking or writing, especially the use of figures of speech and other compositional techniques.
    synonyms: oratory, eloquence, command of language, way with words

The opening line of The Voice fit perfectly if I do say so myself. (Scans room)… SD 79’s cloud has to be on Canadian soil.  (Two minutes worth of small talk)

(captcha) Yes Cider.