Beijing Reflections

0

July 28, 2016 by readlisaread

Well, dear reader, thank you for reading along about my journey.  In the end it was only a week, but it felt like a deep dive into a truly foreign country.  Actually, let me rephrase that… I truly felt like a foreigner.  Here are some of my final thoughts and impressions of a wonderful adventure (you may even find some travel tips in here).

Hutong store

• Very friendly people. Even though most conversations were across a language barrier, by and large the people wanted to help us.
  • We were an anomaly.  I have to admit, I was ill-prepared to be QUITE such an “attraction” (I mean this is in the backwoods Freakshow sense).  Beijing is a very modern city, and we were in the business district, and yet, everywhere we went, we were noticed.  I eventually got used to having my picture taken, but I more enjoyed the exchanges that started with “Hello!” and followed a brief exchange where the Beijing-a-lings (I just made that up) wanted to practice their English.  Considering I know 3 improperly pronounced Chinese words, on the whole the English speakers were impressive.
Another picture of me on a stranger's phone

Another picture of me on a stranger’s phone

One of my paparazzi

One of my paparazzi

• The abbreviation for Beijing is BJ.  This is an unfortunate translation.
  • They got the point across, though

They got the point across, though

But at least it said please

But at least it said please

• Most of the restaurants have picture menus, even if they don’t have English.  I thought this odd, especially in the non-tourist areas.  I think it’s because a lot of the citizens still can’t read.

Menu--with pictures

Menu–with pictures

• There is no tipping, and generally cabbies, servers and etc are uncomfortable or confused by tips.

My attempt at writing Chinese, and leaving a tip for the housekeeper

• Most meals are taken family style, where everyone just digs in.
  • Just like at home, I found I had the best experience if I ate where the crowds of locals were.
  • Beverages aren’t rally a big thing– you can always order something, but it’s not a big push like here
  • Alcohol, especially beer, is readily available, yet, again, not pushed, and I didn’t see any public drunkenness.
  • I also did not see any street people, only 3 panhandlers, and very few pregnant women or small children.
  • Also saw only a few pet dogs, mostly poodles, or mixed-breed descendants of chow-chows.  I did see one Rottweiler near the Wall. Only saw 2 cats.
  • Dairy is rare– lots of yogurt and occasionally buttered bread, but no milk, nor did I ever see coffee or tea with cream and sugar. Most beverages– including water and juice– were served tepid or warm.
  • The BEST yogurt

The BEST yogurt

Shaved Ices!  Incredible, though dairy free

Shaved Ices! Incredible, though dairy free

• Banks were an interesting affair.  I was able to find an ATM that I could withdraw money from– The Bank of China– others would not accept my card.
  • The subway system was outstanding.  I comfortably and easily used it before the week was out, and with 9 lines total, you had a variety of ways to plan a trip–transfer stations were well marked.  The toughest part was sometimes finding the correct exit….
A LOT... but impressive

A LOT… but impressive

• Taxis were ridiculously inexpensive.  A one hour trip cost between 15 and 20 CAD, which we were generally splitting 2 or more ways.
  • However, the traffic in parts of Beijing was terrifying.

yep... whatever

yep… whatever

And so that’s a wrap for me.  I had originally planned for a 3 week journey which turned into a just a little more than a week.  If I get the chance to do a longer stint, I feel much better prepared, and would definitely understand better how to dress for– and deal with– the suffocating humidity, the unexpected monsoons and flashfloods, and the constant “photo-ops”.

I think I heart BJ, too….

An unfortunate contraction

Do I look a little wistful?

Leaving PEK…Do I look a little wistful?