Update on Privilege

0

September 13, 2016 by readlisaread

So, this crossed my desk(top) this morning:

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2016/07/18/playboy-model-body-shamed-naked-woman-on-snapchat-and-now-may-face-the-police.html

I’m just going to leave the link as is, this time.  Usually, I do the right thing, select a word or a phrase to become the hyperlink and disguise the “ugly” URL.  But this time, I’m leaving the ugly out there for all to see, as a metaphor for this person’s behaviour.

THIS is the essence of what I was getting at in this post (see, that’s a much more pleasant link). The absolute quintessential example of Privilege.  No, this is not just someone being mean, this is not a momentary lapse in judgement, this is a pretty girl who has gotten away with nasty behaviour her whole life (I assume) by leveraging her looks.

And really think this through, gentle reader… her victim (and I do not choose that word lightly) is allegedly an overweight 70+ year old woman. Hey, that woman is at a GYM, getting fit, at SEVENTY YEARS OLD.  She is a role model and a hero, but, to the Pretty, she is an eyesore and a punchline.

There have been many times in my life I wished I was something else. But I have never wished for a poor character with a mean streak.  I guess I’ll keep on embracing who I am.