Loving Every Minute of IT

0

September 24, 2012 by readlisaread

The new phone books are out!  The new phone books are out!  You have to be of a certain age to enjoy that reference, but whether or not you remember Steve Martin’s excitement at seeing his name in print or not, we all know the feeling.  Teachers get used to being “recognized” in supermarkets and restaurants by goggle-eyed kids who just that second realized their teacher did not live in the school.  But to be recognize in an official way is still exciting.

You don't live in the classroom?

Any grade 3 teacher knows this sensation

To explain.  In the course of 3 days, my life took an interesting turn.  There is a specialist position in the district which was established to provide support for classroom teachers implementing technology in the classroom. I applied for the position when it was first created, back when my Masters degree in learning and technology was still fresh and I was ready to take on the Info Tech world.  Well, it didn’t go the way I had hoped, and while I did get interviewed for the job, I was an also-ran.  Over the years the position remained in various forms, survived budget cuts and changes in administration, and I went a different direction, focusing on classroom practice and outside contracts.

So, when the job came up again recently, I didn’t think anything of it, wasn’t interested, wouldn’t have noticed if someone hadn’t pointed it out to me.  A couple of weeks went by and I happened to flip through the end-of-summer-job postings in a desultory fashion and saw the position still sitting there. Hmmm.   It was only 50%, so I could keep my day-job…..

Long story short, I applied for the job with 30 minutes to spare before the posting closed, got called for an interview the following day, got called an hour after the interview to get the offer…which I accepted.  The moment it really sunk in was a week later when I was looking over the district web page for a contact number…. AND SAW MY NAME!!! AND MY NEW TITLE!!!! AND A PHONE NUMBER AND EXTENSION!!!!!!!!!!  I mean really….. Called the extension to see if anyone answered, too…..